A new study published in the medical journal Archives of Internal Medicine revealed that chiropractic care is more cost effective than conventional medical treatment for back pain. Economic experts in the field of health agree that there is concrete evidence demonstrating savings in the field of health and compensation costs when patients with back pain receive chiropractic care instead of conventional medical management.
The savings range from 20-60% depending on the structure of the health system and the type of study. Most studies on cost effectiveness of care chiropractor have been made in the area of the back, partly because these are the symptoms that most patients who come to a chiropractic clinic, but also by the overwhelming impact on individuals and society.
In the United States backaches:
- They have a cost of more than $ 100.000 billion annually in health branch.
- It is the second most common reason for doctor visits, hospitalizations after childbirth cause.
- Is chronic health problem most predominant and the leading cause of permanent disability.
- It is the second most common reason for restriction of activities and use of prescription drugs with or without cause.
The four-year study conducted in California involving 1.7 million members of a health insurance network.
One million members had only conventional medical coverage and medical coverage and 700,000 had chiropractic coverage.
The results were:
- Almost all chiropractic services used by members with access to them were used as a direct substitute (instead of) medical services.
- The above described applied not only back pain but countless musculoskeletal problems (muscles, bones, nerves) such as health rib pains, headaches, problems in the extremities and others.
- The 700,000 patients covered chiropractic benefit had a cost claims much lower per person than the one million patients without cover chiropractic. This occurred not only in the lower back problems and musculoskeletal problems, but also in the total cost of health care. The most conservative estimated savings were $ 16 million annually.
- The study revealed that, compared with patients who had medical coverage only in the 700,000 patients with chiropractic cover:
- The total cost was reduced by 28%.
- Hospitalizations were reduced by 41%.
- Disk Surgeries were reduced by 32%.
- The cost of diagnostic images such as X-rays and MRIs was reduced by 37%.